National Apple Day, celebrated on October 21, is a tribute to the rich cultural and historical significance of apples. Established in 1990 by the UK charity Common Ground, founders Sue Clifford and Angela King aimed to raise awareness about the diversity of apple varieties, encourage the preservation of traditional orchards, and promote locally grown apples consumption. It serves as a reminder to reconnect people with the land and its fruits, emphasizing local and sustainable food production.
Here’s a list of apple picking orchards in New Jersey along with information on apple pies and the apple picking season:
Mackey’s Orchard in Belvidere
- Apple Pie: Known for their mile-high apple pies, each made with over 5 pounds of apples.
Demarest Farms in Hillsdale
- Apple Pie: Offers a range of baked goods including fresh apple cider donuts and pies.
- Apple Picking: The season begins on September 2, with the farm open daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Battleview Orchards in Freehold
- Apple Pie: Their Country Store offers a variety of freshly baked pies, breads, and other baked goods.
- Apple Picking: The season varies by apple variety, with some types available from late August to late October. For instance, Red Delicious and Golden Delicious apples are available for picking from mid to late September through October 31.
Terhune Orchards in Princeton
- Apple Pie: Offering a range of homemade baked goods, local gourmet goodies, and their own apple cider.
- Apple Picking: The season runs during September and October, with a variety of apples including Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, and more. The orchard’s dwarf trees are kept short to make apple picking an easy activity for all.
Alstede Farms in Chester
- This farm offers a plethora of farm activities and apple picking, though apple pies weren’t specifically mentioned. They also host Fall Family Fun Days which include pony rides, wagon train rides, and a corn maze.
- Wemrock Orchards is known for its apple products and pies.
Emery’s Farm in New Egypt
- Known for their homemade pies and homemade delicacies.
The apple picking season in New Jersey generally commences in late August and lasts through October.
The exact dates may vary based on the apple variety and the specific orchard. It’s a perfect way to celebrate National Apple Day by visiting one of these orchards, enjoying the fresh air, and perhaps indulging in a slice of homemade apple pie.